Unable to load image-loading module: libpixbufloader-png.so: Permission denied

Hi all. I gots a puzzler maybe you can help me with. I'm using garnome scripts to compile gtk+-2.0.6 and am hitting a weird issue. I am running current gcc tools on AIX 5.1L on an IBM rs/6000, so I maybe the only one trying to do this. ;-)

here's the error:

make[3]: Entering directory `/[path_to_garnome]//garnome-0.17.1/gnome/gtk+/work/gtk+-2.0.6/gtk/stock-icons' GDK_PIXBUF_MODULEDIR=../../gdk-pixbuf ../../gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf-csource \ --raw --build-list stock_add_16 ./stock_add_16.png /[lots of other .png files]/> ./gtkstockpixbufs.h || \
          ( rm -f ./gtkstockpixbufs.h && false )
failed to load "./stock_add_16.png": Unable to load image-loading module: ../../gdk-pixbuf/libpixbufloader-png.so: Permission denied

Sure enough, ../../gdk-pixbuf/libpixbufloader-png.so doesn't exist.. Is this a problem with the Makefile? When I run test-loaders in the gdk-pixbuf directory, I get almost all successes.
                               valid_png_test               FAILED
                               png_test_1                    passed
                               png_test_2                    passed
random                    PNG_HEADER            passed
randomly modified    valid_png_test               passed

Out of paranoia, I downloaded libpng, then compiled and installed from source. libpng's tests passed. After recompiling gtk+, I get the same problem.

I do know that GNU ld doesn't do dynamically loading libraries, just static ones (on AIX). Still, gdk is the only package I've run into trouble with. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Paul.

Inflex Virus Scanner - installed on mailserver for domain @et.byu.edu
Queries to: postmaster et byu edu