Weird GtkEntry behavior in GTK 1.2.10

All,

I am seeing a very strange behaviour with a GtkEntry widget.

The application had previously been working normally; well enough that I had not done any maintenance on it in months.

During that time, the compiler on the Solaris box was upgraded from gcc 2.95.x to gcc 3.2, without my knowledge.

I made a minor code change, rebuilt my application, and discovered that the GtkEntry widget was not working properly. It was swallowing certain characters. In some cases, the "n" was never displayed, but repeated button presses would result in an "n" being shown. The "s" character was even stranger, with the keystroke sometimes working, sometimes producing no visible effect, and with sometimes a Beta characer being shown instead.

Investigating, I found aout about the gcc change. I then rebuilt glib, gtk, and gtkextra with no apparent errors, and then rebuilt my application. The exact same results occurred.

I tried having another user run the application, and he observed the same effect.

Any ideas?

Eric Monsler