Cannot find a rule to create target all-local from dependencies

Trying to install xfce on AIX, which requires atk, glib, pango, gtk, etc. make (for all of them) complains about all-local missing

I found a reference to this in the archives, and the solution then was to use make -k to continue building on Solaris 2.8. This would resolve out of order dependencies. Unfortunately, it's not working for me. Anybody know what's going on? I checked the Makefile, and sure enough, there isn't an "all-local". Did ./configure miss something?

Paul

from atk
<snip>
Target "all" is up to date.
Making all in docs
make: 1254-002 Cannot find a rule to create target all-local from dependencies.
(continuing)
Target "all-am" is up to date.
</snip>

from glib
<snip>
Making all in reference
Making all in glib
make: 1254-002 Cannot find a rule to create target all-local from dependencies.
(continuing)
Making all in gobject
make: 1254-002 Cannot find a rule to create target all-local from dependencies.
(continuing)
Target "all-am" is up to date.
</snip>

Inflex Virus Scanner - installed on mailserver for domain @et.byu.edu