For the LOVE OF GOD will someone please help me..

I am new to the GTK+ market and for the most part the whole "Open Source" thing. I have downloaded, recompiled, and installed X, the various Kernels and so on. But this has GOT to be the most rediculous thing I have ever seen. I watned to build Mazolla to get that extra bang for the buck as I did the Kernel and X. Well it asked for glib 2.0 so I got that, pango and gtk+. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Still nothing, I did the ./configure for glib, make , the rm they tell you to do in the INSTALL file and then make install.
 Tried to build pango and gtk and they both fail.
configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.0.6 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them. PLEASE if ANYONE has ever written a GOOD how to please pass it on. I am about to give up on this and throw linux out in the trash! Also I noticed that no matter how many different ways I try and set the pkg-config to /usr/local/lib/blah blah blah it always points to the other one.
 Honorably,
Joshua L. McDowell
PS The state kidnapped my baby girl, wanna read about it?
HTTP://GEOCITIES.COM/JOSHMIA2001/