GTK question?

Espn has a service/plug-in called bottom-line. It is a bar that rides above the toolbar on a windows machine that displays current sports information. Basically it's a dumb down version of the browser that pulls in a flash movie which parses an xml stream. The weather channel has a similar plug-in.

Can this type of deal be created with GTK? Has it been created with GTK? If so, where can I find an example? If not, do you have any suggestions for me? Is there a reason that I should not do this with the GTK mod?