Where do GTK apps pick up system-wide fonts settings?

I know it must be my fault, by I never felt myself doing it....!

All of a sudden the font used for all Gaim widgets, the Mandrake 9 control
centre and for the menus and all other non-rendered parts of Netscape 7 have
suddenly jumped to about 16pt and hence both look stupid on screen.  I think
what links these all is that they are GTK apps.  Interestingly Mozilla with
Xft enabled does not suffer, and Pan is OK too (I think I have an Xft enabled
version).

I use these all in a KDE environment with Mandrake 9 and kde 3.0.4.  I've
tried removing all of the .gnome etc files and directories but nothing has
worked.

I also have the problem if I login using Gnome, and when I login using other
user-names.  I can't find an obvious menu option to reduce fonts anywhere.

Help needed. :-(

Sim