Re: gtk_tree_model_get_value called for invisible cells?

On 2002.11.08 15:58 Pawel Salek wrote:
I am testing simple subclass of GtkTreeModel to allow the user browsing a data tree without prefetching all the information from the database and storing all of it in memory. I understand that GtkTreeView should call gtk_tree_model_get_value() only for the actually displayed rows and columns but I cannot achieve this effect. Has anybody tried something like this?

Surprisingly, I have not got any response to this. I guess I try to do something totally stupid or entirely impossible. In a way, documentation to gtk_cell_renderer_text hints that the code should handle large number of cells:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkCellRendererText.html

"Sets the height of a renderer to explicitly be determined by the "font" and "y_pad" property set on it. Further changes in these properties do not affect the height, so they must be accompanied by a subsequent call to this function. Using this function is unflexible, and should really only be used if calculating the size of a cell is too slow (ie, a massive number of cells displayed)."

But this does not appear to help at all. I wrote a test program to demonstrate the issue.

http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/tree-view-bug-demo.c

Any hints? Should I file a report in bugzilla?

Pawel