Height of Widget in Container

Hi,

Is there anyway to force a container to update the the allocation structs of
its children at a certain point in time?   Even though a certain container
is mapped to the screen and then I add a widget, the allocation of that
widget is not updated immediately, can I force this somehow?  I would use
gtk_resize_immediate for the resize mode but I have tried this and this
causes my application to hang and then quit.

Thanks for your time

Ian King