Re: Keeping windows permanently in the foreground

On Wed, 29 May 2002 11:42:03 BST, Mike Holme <M Holme mmu ac uk>  said:

>    Can anybody help me with this problem. I want a window to all remain
> in view, so if covered it will automatically pop up to the foreground
> again. Any ideas ?

Ick.

There's two possibilities here.

1) You're writing a standalone application (a kiosk or something) where you
have control of everything already.  In this case, it's pretty easy - just
don't have your code put other stuff in front. ;)

2) You're writing an application to be used with other software under a
window manager.  In this case, the user can probably tell the window manager to
set an "auto-raise" attribute for that window.

Gratuitously popping the window to the front and not allowing the user
to lower it is *EVIL* - your user *will* eventually manage to get some other
window trapped under it where he can't get at it until he quits your program.

At the very least, make sure your program honors explicit lower requests
from the window manager - if the user is saying "put this BEHIND the other
windows", he probably has a good reason for it.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer