Re: gtk_init outside main

> you *probably* can't do this. does ProE have its own GUI? if so, it
> has a connection to the X server already.

Yes it has.

> its very difficult to have multiple connections to the same X server
> within a single address space unless the program is written very
> carefully and with this idea fully in mind. i doubt that ProE was
> written this way. since it almost certainly does not use GTK, that
> means that *its* X server connection is conflicting with the one your
> plugin is creating. probably. likely. perhaps.

Bad news :-(
It don't think ProE is using GTK, too. If it were so, I would be very
surprised. It tries imitate Windows-look&feel on every platform, as seen with
StarOffice for example.

Considering your explanation, I wonder why I have this problem only on HP UX.
This system has proven for me to be most fault tolerant with writing to
illegal addresses etc.

Thanks a lot.