Hardcoding $prefix

I've noticed that Pango will hardcode the $prefix from the build
process into the library, and then use this path to find
$prefix/etc/ configuration stuff (pango.aliases, etc.)

This makes it impossible to distribute binaries of these libraries
and have them look for these files in some other location on
the user's system. ( I do know about the ~/.pango.aliases, but
I'd prefer to have a default.)

Is there a list of such files that I need to track down
that are used in the Gtk2 library "stack" ?  What about all
the rest of the $PREFIX/etc stuff used by Gtk2?

Has anyone successfully built a relocatable binary distribution?

Thanks,

Ralph Walden

--

Ralph E. Walden