glib headaches - configure not propertly detecting gnu gettext

I'm not an autoconf wizard so this is really irritating the hell out of me.
I've got the following packages installed at a base of /usr/local.

% xgettext -V
xgettext (GNU gettext) 0.11.1
% gettext -V
gettext (GNU gettext) 0.11.1

However when I try to configure glib it complains that I don't have gnu
gettext and that libintl.h can't be found on my system.  Just for the record
libintl.h is located at /usr/local/include/libintl.h on my system.  I've
tried a number of things to solve this but alas I've failed.  Any help would
be appreciated.

The following is the configure output that I receive

checking for libintl.h usability... no
checking for libintl.h presence... no
checking for libintl.h... no
--omit-header: not found
found xgettext program is not GNU xgettext; ignore it
configure: error:
*** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use the
*** GNU gettext library. (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html)

Thanks

Rob