glib & gettext (configure problem)

I've been trying to build glib 2.0 from source without success each
attempt to
run configure results in the following error:

--omit-header: not found
found xgettext program is not GNU xgettext; ignore it
configure: error:
*** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use
the
*** GNU gettext library.
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html

So naturally I went to gnu.org and have since built and installed gnu
gettext
however this has not solved my problem.  I thought perhaps it was
because it
wasn't finding the includes for gettext, or that it wasn't finding the
gettext
libs but adding the include path to CPPFLAGS environment and adding
/usr/local/lib
to my LD_RUN_PATH hasn't solved it.

I'm not much of an autoconf wizard so a shove in the right direction
would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Rob