glib & gettext (configure problem)

I've been trying to build glib 2.0 from source without success each
attempt to
run configure results in the following error:

--omit-header: not found
found xgettext program is not GNU xgettext; ignore it
configure: error:
*** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use
*** GNU gettext library.

So naturally I went to and have since built and installed gnu
however this has not solved my problem.  I thought perhaps it was
because it
wasn't finding the includes for gettext, or that it wasn't finding the
libs but adding the include path to CPPFLAGS environment and adding
to my LD_RUN_PATH hasn't solved it.

I'm not much of an autoconf wizard so a shove in the right direction
would be