Re: GtkTreeView - why so SLOW?

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 13:13, S. Eken wrote:

> Hi Olaf,
> as I already posted under the subjects "Strange behaviour of
> scrollbars in GTK 2.0" and "GTK 2.0 5 times slower than 1.2" in
> gtk-devel-list I experienced a dramatic decrease in performace and a
> similar increase in CPU usage, BUT (!!!) the CPU time is eaten up by the X
> server (which, in my case is on a different (slower) machine as the one
> running the application).
>
> It would very interesting to know if your application uses the 60% CPU
> time or if it is also the X server. Er, that is if you ARE using a
> system with X.
Hi,

Yes I use X. Both application and X server are on the same machine.
As I said it is Duron 1GHz, 256 MB RAM, test with no other load, with
enough free memory - no swapping etc.

They are for the same application compiled with GTK 2.0.5.
What is interesting, I told about 2-3 percent when scrolling CList.
But it was for my another application compiled with gtk 1.2.
But now I have rewritten the GTH 2.0 code using TreeView to CList, and
it takes much more CPU also. So GTK 2.0 is slow for old widgets and new
widgets.

So from my point of view:
CList:
loads very fast on GTK 1.2 and 2.0.
Scrolling takes a few CPU with gtk 1.2 but a lot with gtk 2.0

TreeView:
Loads very slow on GTK 2.0.
Eats a lot of CPU when scrolling.

Below are results.
They are for the same application compiled with GTK 2.0.5.
------------------------------
With TreeView:
Scrolling up and down list.
CPU: