How to embed/inline jpg images in compressed form

Hello,

Learning to praise the features of gtk+-2.0 I quickly came to a question:

Is it possible to embed (or inline if you prefer) jpeg (or png) images in an gtk+ 2.0 application without uncompressing them (as done via gdk-pixbuf-csource).

Yes, I guess some tricks around progressive image loading from program memory might do it, but can't this made easier? Does anybody have a working example?

   Christof