popup menu doesn't show label

I have a PopupMenu that's created in Java with a label.
Through the Java Native Interface, this popup is passed
down to C code that utilizes the Gtk+ API to render it.

Problem is that Gtk+ doesn't show the label when you
bring up the popup - only the popup menu items.

However, if you make the popup a tearoff menu and tear
it off, then the label is displayed in the resultant
menu.

Is this just how Gtk+ works?  Do I have to extract the
popup menu label and prepend it to the menu item list just to
show it?  Would appreciate details since I'm new to Gtk.

Thanks.

Kevin.

Btw, what happened to the tutorial on gtk.org?  All I see
is a directory listing with online_tut_fix and update_tut.