Re: how can I create a pixmap with transparent background ?

See the other message on the gtk-app-devel-list about this (transparent
pngs).

Basically when you have to create a mask GdkBitmap that you can use when
painting the pixmap to the screen that identifies the opaque areas.

For example (where d is some color)

pixmap:    bitmap:
000000     000000
0dddd0     011110
0dddd0     011110
000000     000000

There may be a way of generating a bitmap mask from the pixmap by
specifying a particular color to be the transparent color.  See the api
for GdkBitmap.

When loading from a xpm or file, you usually create a pixmap/bitmap
pair.

Alternatively you can use GdkPixbuf, and create an object with an
inherent alpha (transparency) channel.

Michael

--
Public key available from http://students.cs.byu.edu/~torriem