timeout

Hello,

I'm quite new to gtk, so please  don't shoot if the question is trivial.
I encountered following problem:
I would like to load and display all images contained in a folder. I've written some code to do this. The user start this process by clicking a button, which adds a gtk_timeout. So far everything is fine. The problem is that when the timer is set rather short, and images are loaded as fast as the machine can handle, reaction to any button-click is very slow, or even nonexistent! So, when I try to pause or stop this process, there is no reaction. Even not when I try to close the window. I've played around with threads, but with little succes. A solution could be increasing the timer value. The problem with this is that I actually do more with the image than only displaying it. So I would need a worst case timing... which is unaccepatble in this case.

Anny help is welcome
Thanks

Thomas