GNOME and Xwindows porting Errors

Hi,
I am porting Xwindows on an embedded Linux to support GTK+.

When I used a simple startx script, I did not have any errors but I had
very ugly xwindows.
It is the same as running "xinit" instead of "startx."
I mean I can not use GNOME.
With a RedHat version's startx script the system tries to set host
network configurations.
It did look like little bit complicated.
So, I used "xinit" instead of "startx."

When I tried to run my program which is related to image processing,
however, I have had following errors:

 Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
 Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
 Gdk-ERROR **: BadValue

1. what can I do to run "startx"?
2. How can I solve the above errors?

Thanks a lot,