Re: key bindings - gtk2

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Padraig O'Briain wrote:

> handled or the toplevel is reached. If the keystroke has still not been
> handled the toplevel checks for key bindings.

Are you talking about the key bindings API now?

Or are you just stating that the toplevel is the last to check when you
move upwards from the focus widget.

> Within a widget the handling of the keystroke will call key-press-event
> handlers defined for that widget. These should, among other things, check for
> key bindings defined for the widget.

Or probably this is using the key bindings API.

I think you explanation of the overall handling is very nice. Thanks a
lot. What I still don't understand is where (and how) the above API is

What kind of objects is the above key bindings connected to. I wrote code
like this that changed my scrolled window to use the arrow to scroll
instead of ctrl-arrow:

    binding_set = gtk_binding_set_by_class

And this seems to work fine. But this connects the binding to the scrolled
window class. Is this always so? What if I just want to change it for one
scrolled window.

I've also seen that key bindings have some sort of priority

How does this mix in with starting at the focus widget and move out. What
if the parent widget have a binding of the same key with higher priority.
Or is this just to resolve the binding for one widget (I guess it is).

> I have not said anything about accessibility (atk) as I do not see its relevance
> to the topic. If you are further questions, I will try to help.

Well, I don't know anything about atk and have never used it. I just
thought that if I make my key bindings work in the intended way it will
probably be good for atk also. I just assumed atk might have been