Re: Font size in GTK

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Arno Dark wrote:

> I have an other question in the difference beetween GTK 1 et 2. I change
> the font of a widget and I print the same message. But the string have
> not the same heigth with gtk 1 et 2.
>
> For exemple, you can see this screen shot :
> http://www.arnoraes.freesurf.fr/Forum/font_size.png . The top window is
> compiled with GTK 2 and the second with GTK 1. We can see that for the
> same font, the text use a more important place in GTK 2.

It's not actually the same font.  Using the GTK 2.0 font selector I
can reproduce the two fonts for your string "Address Resolution
Protocol" as follows:

1. In the window in the background, where the text is more condensed,
"Fixed Medium Semi-Condensed 12".

2. In the foreground window with the larger text, "Fixed Medium 12"
(or 11, it makes no difference on my system since there is not
actually a different font for the "11-point" and "12-point" sizes).

So if you prefer the smaller look you should just have to specify
"Semi-Condensed" in your font description.

BTW, what WM/theme is that in your screen shot?  I like the title bar
style :-)

Allin Cottrell.