statically linking GTK engines

Is there a way to statically link in the gtk engines?  I'm using gtk+ 2.0
on the linux framebuffer (on an ARM), and it only works when I use a
dynamically linked binary.  A statically linked binary would save me some
disk space in embedded use.

When running a statically linked binary with an engine configured in the
gtkrc file, I get errors like:
(process:478): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **:
gtype.c:1807:g_type_register_static(): initialization assertion failed,
use g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:478): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **:
gtype.c:1807:g_type_register_static(): initialization assertion failed,
use g_type_init() prior to this function

Again, it works fine dynamically linked.

Thanks,
Vince

--
Vince Busam