Re: advice wanted on controlling GtkEntry input filtering

> But I don't understand why that would be a problem when a GtkEntry has
> no accelerators (that i know of).

Yeah, but I want the accelerators of other widgets to still be active
while I'm typing into an entry.

Basicly, I have some accelerators for some menu items, which are
alphabetic characters, e.g. <Shift>X, <Shift>Y, <Shift>L and <Shift>A
activate those four little padlock symbols you see next to the
entries.  If one of the entries currently has focus, I can't use those
four accelerators.

(aside):
> (ardour.sf.net)

Damn, that's sweet.  I've been looking for decent audio software for
linux; I even tried writing my own (www.efalk.org/audioedit/).  I've long
since abandoned mine, I'll have to check yours out.

> i installed a keyboard snooper

I'm thinking of doing something similar; if I can capture the X,Y,L,A and
tab keys, and process them manually, that should be sufficient.  I was
going to add an "event" callback to my drawing canvas and entry widgets;
is there a better way to do it?

> with widgets that i want to have
> "normal" focus, i connect a handler to their focus_enter and
> focus_leave events that turns on and off the "allow focus to
> operate" flag. so, when you click in a GtkEntry that is intended to
> be a regular enterable text field, GTK+ assigns focus there, and
> this enables the passthru of key events until focus leaves the
> widget.

I couldn't quite follow how this works, could you explain in more
detail?