cannot find handler of optionmenu

I need to keep track of the handlers of optionmenus as they maybe delete. Therefore i write:
void optionmenu (GtkMenuShell * menushell, gpointer user) {...}

then i add a signal connect function to connect the optionmenu with the signal

int signal;
signal=gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(optionmenu),"deactivate",GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(optionmenu),NULL);

and if i delete the optionmenu, i have to disconnect the signal first,

gtk_signal_disconnect(GTK_OBJECT(optionmenu),signal)

but really strange, gtk warn me that "gtk_signal_dixconnect():could not find handler ([corresponding signal])"

i also do the same thing for a checkbutton with signal "toggled", without this warning, i really very confuse about that....

i also try not use "deactivate", instead i use "clicked" (button signal instead of menushell signal), and gtk don't warn me too...(but i find that the "clicked" do not respond to my optionmenu, therefore i give up too...)

if u know the reason, pls let me know~~ thx~