TAB operation in text widget

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to move the cursor in a text window forward a fixed number of pixels?

I would like to produce columns of text in the text widget when using a proportionally-spaced font.
I can easily find out the width of the current line in pixels, but then I need to move the set point forward
to start the next column at the correct point. But all of the set point operations for a text widget seem to be
measured in characters rather than pixels.