Re: fork & exec portable between Linux GTK+ & Win32 GTK+ immediately w/ no work??

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 00:58, Chris Seberino wrote:
> > Chris Seberino <seberino spawar navy mil> writes:
> > > fork & exec portable between Linux GTK+ & Win32 GTK+ immediately w/ no work??
> > >

> > Nope. fork() is a UNIX thing.
> >
> > g_spawn_* may work on both, in GLib 1.3.x.
>
> Ouch, this one hurt.  I will hope that g_spawn_* has
> an adequate wrapper in Win32 port then.
> Forking is a pretty basic operation.  Win32 must
> have some analog for glib I hope!

You ought to look into Cygwin, http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin ... I
believe that it has a functioning fork(); it also includes a fully
functional XFree86, allowing you to run your app under X and bypass any
quirks of the Win32 GTK+ port - I was able to compile and install the
"native" X version of GTK+ in Cygwin from unmodified sources the very
first time - wow!

Regards,
Timothy M. Shead