Help with callbacks.

Hi,
I have a problem concerning callbacks. I have a created widget and I am
trying to place this widget inside a GUI. The GUI has some buttons,
I want that when I press these buttons I can change boolean variables in
the widget class so that I can manipulate the widget in a different
manner. The problem is that if I change the booleans of the widget class
inside the button callback it does not take effect. I was wondering if
I need to send some kind of signal to the widget to actually make the
changes take effect.
Thanks all.