PangoFontMetrics

Hi
I am new to GTK+ . I used to use X and motif calls for UI design and i really find GTK to be very flexible and powerful. Thanks to the people who brought it up . I have a small question . I want to write some strings into a drawing area using certain fonts . And I am using Pango for this . Now I want to find out the height and width (ascent and descent etc) of the string so that i can place it properly . Hence I am using the PangoFontMterics.
But there is one call which is confusing for me
pango_language_from_string   (const char *language);
where
language : a string representing a language tag (as the API says)

Can somebosy tell me what string to passed as the "language" in the above call .Is it related somehow to the locale .
I tried passing the string (i want to draw , but it does not work )
I mean for different strings I get the same ascent and descent .

I am confused . I think the ascent and descent is based on the font
being used .
I would apprecite any help on this. Is there any application using pango . Cyrrently I am refering the API Refarence (from gtk.org)

Thanks
vankat