Re: drawing area and expose event

"Norman Black" <stonybrk ix netcom com> writes:

> Are you saying that when a user hits the "e" key in my program I should
> generate an expose event to draw the "e" in my window rather than simply
> draw the "e" in response to them pressing "e".

What you should do is call gtk_widget_queue_draw_area() or
gdk_window_invalidate_rect() for the rectangle containing the
"e". Then you will get an expose event for that area, and then you
paint the "e"

So all drawing is in the expose handler.

The expose handler must be able to redraw any area anyway, so you may
as well put all drawing there for code cleanliness; putting all
drawing there is also crucial to be sure you don't have any flicker in
GTK 2.

Havoc