Making Linux system calls as a signal to an event

Hi,

I am a new user of GTK. I want to execute a Linux
system call (like "ls" or "make" on the command line)
by clicking on a button on my GTK interface. I am
using C for my GTK code. I have associate the
"clicked" event to my button as a signal to call a
callback function. Within this callback function, how
can I make system calls.

ALso, how can I send parameters filled in by the user
in my text entries to my other C files. I need to pass
the content of the text entries to variables inside my
other C files.

Thank you,
Anjali