Re: garbage collection (long)

Enrico Weigelt <weigelt metux de> writes:

> if someone's interested, i'll do the most of the work with implementing
> an GC (Hans-Boehm-GC) in glib/gtk, but i need some help with testing the
> build stuff (i wont touch this spooky automake) ...

I already did this a while ago, it's in CVS as "libggc" - I'm not sure
it still works with latest GTK but fixing it should be easy.

It just drops in the Boehm GC as the GLib memory allocator.

It isn't all that useful though, because running the destroy/finalize
methods for GObject/GtkWidget will still be controlled by the
reference count instead of the GC, so you still need to hold
references to everything to keep objects from being rendered useless.

To make this useful GTK would have to be reworked internally to rely
on it, which won't happen anytime soon.

Havoc