Saving the whole GTKTextBuffer state

Hi!
I think this question is really stupid, but... isn't there a way to get *all* the text displayed in a GtkTextBuffer? I mean, the text plus all the tags, attributes, pixmaps... just like a word processor would have? I'm using a textbuffer, and I'm going to implement a way to save it all; but I've a strong feeling of "reinventing the wheel", doing that... would it be simpler, more standard and more "portable" between different apps to implement such a facility?
	Thanks,
		Mano :)

--
Germano Rizzo - mano pluto linux it