Forcing update of widgets

o I am attempting to force GTK to update all widgets in a realtime
  display application using the following code fragment (which I
  first read about on this mailing list):

        while (g_main_iteration(FALSE))
            ;

o There are two problems.  First, some widgets, in some cases, do not
  update.  The example I have is a label which is updated from an
  overloaded motion_notify_event_impl() method in a class derived
  from Gtk::DrawingArea.  (Yes, this is in GTK--, which may or may
  not be the problem.)

o Second problem is that I have a TCP socket connected to the GTK
  main loop (again GTK--, using Gtk::Main.input.connect()) and doing
  the above g_main_iteration() loop exposes me to an unwanted
  re-entrancy.  In the middle of processing a user or TCP input and
  updating the widgets, I can "signal" back to the same or another
  handler before finishing the current input.

o Is there any other/better way to force an update of widgets?  I've
  tried gdk_flush(), by itself and in addition to g_main_iteration(),
  without success.

--
MARK
markrubn pacbell net