Re: What's purpose of returned boolean in expose/configure event functions?

>Thanks for reply.  So it sounds like some signal handlers
>are only the first of many functions to handle an event.
>(Most of which we don't see or deal with?)
>If our function does ALL work then we return TRUE
>but if it is only one of many then we return FALSE.
>How are we to know if there are other functions GTK+
>will want to call for an event?

you don't. thats why you have to decide if you think the signal has
been handled or not. that will depend hugely on the circumstances of
your program. sometimes i know i have to return TRUE, sometimes i know
i have to return FALSE and sometimes it really doesn't matter.

for GTK+ 1.2, there happens to be a default handler which will be
called whether or not yours returns TRUE or FALSE. but my
understanding is that in 1.3/2.0, returning TRUE will stop even the
default handler from being called.

there are also so-called "after" handlers (connected with
gtk_signal_connect_after()) which are called after the default
handler. its not clear to me if these will still be called in 1.3/2.0
if a "before" handler returns TRUE. owen/havoc and others will know.

--p