Paned questions

Hi folks,

I'm wanting to use the paned widgets to re-size my current widgets but I'm a
bit unsure about how it works.

My program is quite simple. It has a window with a vbox in it. It keeps
adding hboxes to the vbox like this:

(no hboxes)

+------------+
|            |
|            |
|            |
|            |
|            |
+------------+

+------------+
|            |
|            |
|   (hbox)   |
|            |
|            |
+------------+

+------------+
|   hbox 1   |
|            |
|------------|
|   hbox 2   |
|            |
+------------+

+------------+
|   hbox 1   |
|------------|
|   hbox 2   |
|------------|
|   hbox 3   |

I want a paned widget on the separator between hboxes. So I want a paned
widget controlling hbox1/hbox2 and another one controlling hbox2/hbox3.

So my questions are:

1. Can a widget have multiple paned widgets attached to it?
2. Can a paned widget control any widget type? As most example code I've
seen seems to be re-sizing a frame.

Thanks!!!

Rich