scrolled window: scroll in only one direction?

Hi,

I would like to have a scrolled window, in which the child is only
scrolled in one direction. In the other direction, the child's size
should change when the user changes the size of the window. Is this
possible?

Background: I have an application that shows some data inside a drawing
area in real time. As there may be more data than fits in the window, I
want the drawing area inside a scrolled window. Let's assume this scrolls
in the vertical direction. When new data is received, it is drawn in
the right, and the older data is automatically moved left. Now I want
the width of the window to determine how far back in time the data is
visible, so no horizontal scrolling by the user.

So in the horizontal direction, everything should work like there was
no scrolled window, just as in the scribble drawing program in the
tutorial.

I have tried changing the size of the drawing area whenever a configure
event is raised, but this hasn't worked very well yet and to me it sounds
more like a hack than a real good solution.

I would appreciate your help.

Vincent.