Messages between threads ?

I need to bas messages from one thread to another, which is running
a glib mainloop. The async queue seem almost fine, but I need to
pass the messages in the main loop, since that thread is also waiting
for GIOChannels.
Am I right that about the only way of doing that is pass the message
over e.g. a pipe, or pass a notification over a pipe that an item is
available from another thread ? Or is there some other clever way ?

--
Nils Olav Selåsdal <NOS Utel no>
System Developer, UtelSystems a/s