how to get SELECTION_MULTIPLE behavior from 1.2 in 2.0?

In gtk 1.2, SELECTION_MULTIPLE allowed you to select individual rows
in a CList by just clicking on each one. I read in the documentation
that the old SELECTION_EXTENDED behavior (shift and control click to
select multiple rows) is what SELECTION_MULTIPLE does in 2.0.

Is there any way to get the SELECTION_MULTIPLE behavior from gtk 1.2
in gtk 2.0 (e.g., for reconciling a bank statement, etc.). I'm just
getting started learning to use the TreeView and don't see how to do
this.

Thanks,
Dave