Re: Q: Can a gtk+ app run on Windows without an X Server?

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:46:51PM +0000, John Miskinis wrote:

> Please forget about my earlier post regarding building glib.
>
> I was able to get an earlier version of GTK+ up on a WIN98SE
> box, under cygwin.  I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly,
> that I could use GTK+ to build a GUI, on both linux and Windows,
> and that I could simply provide some DLLs on windows with my app
> to allow it to run on windows.
>
> When I finally built the "Hello World" app under cygwin, and
> ran it, it is looking to open an X Display.  Is an X Server
> required?  I was hoping it was not...

There's a native windows port. You could also build it with the cygwin
unix emulation stuff, and then you have unix/X11 gtk running on
windows. But there is a win32-native GTK.

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/ has more. It talks about 1.3.0 on
the front but the download page has 2.0 downloads.

Havoc