Having trouble with theme engine development

I'm having trouble testing my theme engine for gtk 2.0. I thought I could
install my engine, start gnome-theme-properties and check what happens.

This worked fine, but then I changed something in my code, installed the
engine
again and fired up gnome-theme-properties. The changes I had made where not
visible.

It seems as if  the module is not replaced. What can I do? Is there a better
way to
test my code?

Any help is appreciated.

Please CC me as I am not on the list.