cant change font

I parse the following resource file from my application.

#------------------------------------------------------
style "all"
{
	font = "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--17-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
	fg[NORMAL] = {0,0, 1.0}
}
widget_class "*" style "all"
#------------------------------------------------------

This changes the text color to blue, proving that the style gets applied,
but the font size never changes when I vary the number "17" in the font to
say "8".

I verify that the fonts exist with the "xfd" utility.

I would appreciate a list of possibilities of what the problem could be.

I am using gtk version 2.0 that came with mandrake linux 8.2 2.96-0.76mdk
In the include file gtkversion.h major.minor.micro is 1.3.13
Pango is version 1, with the libraries indicating "0.24".

----------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee.
The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference
with, distribution, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised
and prohibited. Confidentiality attached to this communication is not waived
or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.

If you have received this message in error, please delete it and notify us
by return e-mail or telephone Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty Limited
on +61 2 9413 6300.