dynamic additions to a GtkMenuShell

Hi,
  I have a GtkMenu which I popup when the right mouse is clicked and
works fine. I want to dynamically build a chunk of the menu because it
is an expensive part of menu to create (large tree, many images) and
have the code *almost* working. The problem I have is that I am
attaching to the activate signal of the MenuItem and adding all the
children to the gtk_menu_item_get_submenu() of that menuItem. The first
time I do this they are not shown no matter if I call
gtk_widget_show_all() etc.

I am wondering if someone knows of a small app / specific src file that
dynamically adds to a GtkMenuItem's GtkMenu when it is selected?

Thanks.
http://witme.sourceforge.net/libferris.web/