pixmaps

Hello everybody:
i've developped an application where i inserted serveral pixmaps, i know i
have to make install before i can see the icons when i run the app.

I run configure with the --prefix=/path_project_directory, but it try to
copy all the pixmaps under the /usr/local/share/pixmaps directory where a
normal user doesn't have write permissions, so what i do is switching to the
root user and make install.
 I would like the executable to look for the icons somewhere under the
project_directory
I tried with the DESTDIR varible as well, but it didn't work.

can anybody tell me how can i tell my app where to look for the icons???