Look and feel of Progressbars

Why is the PROGRESS.DISCRETE style deprecated?

In my opinion those little blocks (displayed in different colour) look much,
much better than the new continous style which in my opinion looks a bit
dull. A good example is the new version of Pan.
Would it not be sensible to allow for both styles? (Even if I should use the
discrete style I did not know how to change the colour scheme).

J.B.

http://www.gmx.net