Re: some questions about GTK2

Tomasz Wegrzanowski <taw users sourceforge net> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 10:49:38AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Tomasz Wegrzanowski <taw users sourceforge net> writes:
> >
> > > I have some questions about GTK2.
> > >
> > > 1.
> > > What is state of Japanese input support ?
> > > I see that rendering works well, but Japanese is not
> > > among Input methods listed (gtk-demo, all installed from .debs).
> > > Should I install some additional things to make it work ?
> >
> > If you:
> >
> >  a) Have a working input method setup
> >  b) Set your locale to ja_JP
> >
> > Then it should just work. (The entry in the menu
> > is "X Input Method", and it will be selected automatically
> > for CJK languages.)
>
> Well, the point is in using input method w/o changing locale
> I don't really want to have all messages in Japanese,
> just to be able to write some simple things.
> If I can write Hangul or Cyrilic simply by chosing right
> option in "Input Methods" menu, why not Japanese this way ?

There is reason within the GTK+ architecture, but the XIM
implementation in the XFree86 Xlib isn't up to the job of switching
between different input methods ... it can only handle a single
input method for the current locale.

And writing a Japanese input method is harder than writing
a Cyrillic input method. :-). (The Hangul input method
in the menu is actually not complete.)

Regards,
                                        Owen