Scrolling a Column within a GtkTreeView

Hello,

Is there a way to use GtkTreeView and GtkTreeColumnView such that a subset
of the columns (1 or more) is scrollable?  If so, does anyone have an example
they could provide?  Essentially, I want to create a tree with two
columns.  The second column in this tree is very large (horizontally),
and while I scroll to the right, I would like the first column to
remain visible, as shown below:

 | Column 1    |  Large Horizontal Column 2     |
 |----------------------------------------------|
 |+Item 1        lots_and_lots_and_lots_and_ . .|
 |                                              |
 |                                              |
 |               <scrollbar for column 2 only>  |

As one scrolls the second column, the first column remains stationary:

 | Column 1    |  Large Horizontal Column 2     |
 |----------------------------------------------|
 |+Item 1        . . . _lots_and_lots_of stuff  |
 |               <scrollbar for column 2 only>  |

I know this would be possible with panes but I was hoping to use the Tree
functionality in Gtk to accomplish this task because it's so convenient and
I wouldn't have to line up the text from column 1 with the information
in column 2.

Thanks for the assistance!

Brad