Problems with Pango?

I have successfully compiled and installed gtk+-2.0; however, I keep
getting the following message in all of my programs:
GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `PangoXFont' to `guchar'

As a result none of the labels in any of my programs are readable.
I'm assuming that all of my libraries, etc. have installed correctly,
because I can compile and run gtk-demo with no problems.
I have the same problems running the simple examples from the
tutorial.

Can anyone help?