Re: Memory leaks / Help with memprof & ps output

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 03:32:32PM +0100, John Cupitt ng-london org uk wrote:

<snip>
> Here are two mails from Havoc about the GC version of gtk.

<snip>
> Re: garbage collection experiment
>
>      * From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
>      * To: gtk-devel-list gnome org
>      * Subject: Re: garbage collection experiment
>      * Date: 11 Feb 2001 15:30:55 -0500
>
> Hi,
>
> Observations after further testing and discussion with Owen:
>
>   - seems to work great with gtk-demo, even if I add a "malloc bomb"
>     idle function that uses 100% CPU constantly leaking memory; memory
>     usage of the process doesn't go up more than the non-GC case.
>
>   - --enable-gc-friendly may help a lot with GC, if people were going
>     to use a thing like libggc as an application add-on with any
>     frequency, GLib should probably default to gc-friendly since apps
>     can't depend on specific glib build options. --disable-mem-pools
>     can also be a good idea in a GC environment, but potentially more
>     costly in the non-GC environment.
>
>   - At the moment, refcounted objects don't get collected
>     until refcount == 0 because someone still has a pointer to the
>     object in order to call unref(). If you actually want to take
>     advantage of GC, of course you wouldn't keep that pointer,
>     so stuff would get collected with refcount > 0; this means in
>     essence that finalizers don't get called, so in any case that
>     a finalizer does more than call free()/unref() on sub-objects,
>     things will break.
>
>     Anyhow, doing more than free/unref in a finalizer is conceptually
>     broken even now, but broken in practice with a collector most
>     likely, since finalizers will just get skipped.
>
>     Boehm has hooks to register a finalizer for a block, but these
>     can't really be used for GObject; one issue is that it can't
>     collect cycles involving finalized objects, because normally if A
>     points to B, it finalizes A then B, but if A and B are in a cycle,
>     there's no safe finalization order. Another issue is that
>     finalizers slow stuff down and add overhead. Finally most objects
>     won't expect to be inside g_malloc() when finalized, which is where
>     the collector will do the finalization.
how an anyone assume to have an specific finalization order ?!
btw: in the case of cycles refcounting fails and leaves trash.

>     It might be possible to have a Boehm-registered finalizer that
>     simply adds an object to a list of objects, then you call
>     GObject-level finalizers in some kind of idle handler, which keeps
>     finalizers from being called from inside a g_malloc() and avoids
>     some reentrancy problems; but, there are other issues that arise
>     with that.
finalizers can be run in an separate thread.

>     Basically to make GC useful with refcounted objects, finalizers
why using refcount when you have an garbage collector ?

<snip>
>   - I can't get the incremental GC feature of the Boehm collector to
>     make any difference; it always does full collections anyway for
>     some reason. I guess it's good the full collector is fast enough,
>     the incremental collector has some weird issues (it has to
>     be able to detect the dirty bit on pages, done by various
>     platform-specific hacks that don't always work)
this stuff should be thought as an additional optimization which is
hidden behind the normal full collector.

>   - There are certainly portability issues with the Boehm collector, in
>     particular right now it just punts on shared libraries and only
>     builds a static lib, and I'm using an unportable hack to get it
>     into a shared lib. The gcj team has it autotoolized and Tom says
>     Boehm may merge that upstream sometime. Of course the collector
>     implementation itself is a huge nest of platform dependent hacks,
>     unavoidably, but it's ported to most platforms.
... implementation details ...

> The only real showstopper I see for using this in real apps is the
> issue of finalizers. You could use it for real apps now if you do
> manual refcounting on refcounted objects, and only use the GC for
> strings and such.

using an gc only as an drop-in-replacement limits its features.
better design the applications from ground up for this.

i'm thinking about an new development branch of glib - gcglib,
which is completely gc based. anyone willing to join this project ?

~-n
--
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   meTUX IT services
 software development, IT service, internet security solutions