RE: performance issues on win32

Cameron Davidson csiro au writes:
 > Most of the speed problem seems to tie in with a poor match between the
 > X11-GC basis for GDK and the MS_Windows DC.
 > A lot of the time seems to be spent creating and
 > deleting pens and brushes and/or other objects.

(If I understand your table correctly) you see a significant
performance difference between GDK 1.3.0 (the gtk-1-3-win32-production
branch) and 2.0, the latter being slower. This is expected, as the
win32-production branch implements a cache for Windows DCs, exactly
for performance reasons. The cache code was written by the people at
archaeopteryx.com. I haven't copied the cache code to 2.0, as I feel
it could be cleaned up a bit, and I am not 100% sure that it works
correctly in all cases.

--tml