Re: Memory leaks / Help with memprof & ps output

On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 16:55:17 +0200, "Nils O. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sel=E5sdal?=" said:

> The glibc malloc is also abit smarter, if you allocate large (enough)
> chunks of memor in one go, it will use mmap to get that memory, mmap'ed
> memory are afaik release back to the os when unmapped..

If I remember right, GTK runs on a lot of platforms that aren't glibc-based.

Also, the mmap() trick only works for *single* requests that are big enough
(at a minimum, greater than 1 page) - it can't help much for lots of
little requests...

In fact, it's pretty easy to show that being able to take the address
of an malloc()d space and store it in a C variable implies that you cannot
create a fragmentation-*proof* malloc(), since you can't make a workable
relocating malloc.

Of course, it's still possible to make a fragmentation-*resistant* malloc().

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of timeouts
and threads with GTK. ;)
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer